Netgear Nighthawk router is one of the finest networking devices. For high-speed internet and wide-range coverage, the Netgear Nighthawk router is perfect. However, such devices require high maintenance, which includes updating the router’s firmware. It is imperative to execute the Netgear Nighthawk firmware update. Keeping the router always up-to-date eliminates any internal issues. Not limited to this, it also brings new features to the router.
Therefore, it’s essential to know about the Netgear firmware update procedure. If you want to know how to update the Nighthawk router, we’ve got you! Today, we will discuss the complete process along with its importance.
Why Do I Need to Update My Nighthawk Router?
Netgear frequently launches firmware updates to enhance the device’s performance, integrate new features, and increase security. To make the most out of your Nighthawk router, ensure your router is operating on the latest firmware. You can update the firmware from the Nighthawk app. If there’s any issue you are facing with your Nighthawk router, you can proceed with the Netgear Nighthawk update.
How Do I Check for New Firmware?
Whenever Netgear releases new firmware, you will receive a notification regarding the firmware. However, you can also check for the firmware from the router’s user interface. The steps are as follows:
- Firstly, log into the user interface or the app.
- On the home page, click ‘Advanced’ and go to the ‘Administration’ page.
- After that, in Router Update, you can check if there’s firmware available.
- The router will look for available firmware.
These are the steps to check for the latest Nighthawk router’s firmware.
Update Netgear Nighthawk Router Firmware
There are two ways to execute the Nighthawk router firmware update; you can update it manually or automatically. You can proceed with the update through the Nighthawk app or via the web browser. Both methods are as follows:
1. Netgear Nighthawk Firmware Update Manually Via the Web Browser
- Initially, go to Netgear’s support page and download the latest firmware.
- You must know the modem number of your router to download the correct file.
- Now, open a web browser and enter the IP address of the router.
- You can use the routerlogin.net address as well to access the login page.
- When the Nighthawk login page appears, enter the username and password to log in.
- Now, the user interface of the router will appear.
- After that, go to the ‘Advanced’ page and then to the ‘Administration’ page.
- On this page, go to the ‘Router Update’ page and click on the ‘Select File’ option.
- Now, choose the correct firmware file you have downloaded.
- At last, click on ‘Upload’ to upgrade the firmware.
- The router will restart after the update.
2. Netgear Nighthawk Update Automatically Via the App
- To begin with, install the app and log in using the correct login credentials.
- On the home page, click on the router’s image.
- After that, go to the ‘Router’s Settings’ page.
- Now, click ‘Check for Updates’ to check any available firmware.
- The router will scan for any available firmware.
- At last, tap on ‘Update’ to upgrade the firmware.
These are the methods for the Netgear Nighthawk firmware update. While the router is updating the firmware, make sure you do not interrupt it anyway, as it could cause critical issues with the router. Do not power Off, reset, or unplug the router during the Nighthawk router firmware update.
Why Can’t I Update Nighthawk Firmware?
If your router isn’t updating the firmware, various reasons could be responsible for it. Some are as follows:
- Loss of internet connection
- Power outage
- An internal issue with the router
- Corrupt or wrong firmware
How to Fix Nighthawk Router Firmware Update Failed Issues?
You can always try the second method when the first method isn’t working. However, when both Nighthawk router firmware update ways aren’t working, you must fix the issue. You can try the following troubleshooting methods to resolve the problem:
Connect the Router to a Stable Power Source
- Before you proceed with the Netgear Nighthawk update, you must power On the router.
- The router needs to have a sufficient power supply for the upgrade.
- Therefore, ensure to plug the router into a working power outlet.
- If the current outlet of the router isn’t working, plug it into a different one.
Establish a Connection Between the Router and the Device
- For the login, you must connect a device to the router’s network.
- Therefore, for the firmware update, it is recommended to form the connection with an Ethernet cable.
- If you connect it wirelessly, the connection could break anytime.
- Hence, connect the device using an Ethernet cable.
Reset the Router
- When the issue is none of the above, you will have to reset the router.
- To reset the router, find the reset button on the router.
- Now, you need to press the button and hold it with a sharp object.
- After seven seconds, you can let go of the button.
- Finally, the reset is complete.
- Now, you can configure the router again, as the default settings are back.
Try these troubleshooting methods to fix the firmware failure issue. These ways will fix this issue and your router should be up-to-date now.
Can I Update Nighthawk Router Without Login?
No, you must log into the router in order to execute the Netgear Nighthawk firmware update. Without logging in, you cannot update the firmware. You can log into the web browser or the Nighthawk app. Ensure to connect your device to the router’s network for the login.
How Long Does it Take to Update Nighthawk Router?
The Netgear Nighthawk update doesn’t take much longer. It takes up to 10-15 minutes tops. Ensure to not interrupt the firmware during these minutes, as it can cause problems to the router.
Does Netgear Nighthawk Router Automatically Update?
No, you will have to log into the user interface and update the Nighthawk router from the settings. You can do this via the app or the web browser. Moreover, whenever Netgear releases firmware, you will receive a notification to update the firmware.
Do I Need to Restart Nighthawk Router After Firmware Update?
When the router is complete with upgrading the firmware, the router will automatically restart. Ensure to not interrupt the router in any way during this time period.
We hope you have learned how to update the Nighthawk router. If you are unable to go through it, we have also discussed the troubleshooting methods. Nevertheless, if there’s any other issue you are facing with your router, you can get in touch with our team!